Friday 19 October 2007

Black Vegetables

Next year, I plan to grow some black vegetables in the veg patch and allotment. I'm usually much more fussy about taste than looks, but this is quite a fun sideproject for me. I've grown yellow and red cropsets before, but I suspect black may be a little more difficult to achieve, so this won't be in the main veg set. Now, I spend much time in February browsing through the Thomson & Morgan seed stands in my local garden centre, and these are some of the candidates I've found so far. Of course, a true black is very rare, so often these stray into purple, but dark will definitely be the order of the days.


Lighter purple crops that may suit this colour scheme include scorzonera, Falstaff sprouts, scarlet or black tuscany kale, beetroots, kalibos or red jewel cabbage, red baron or lilia onions, giant red mustard, rudolph or redhead calabrese, red strawberry popcorn, purple f1 hybrid pak choi, treviso chard, mantanghong radish, healthmaster carrots and purple broccolis. It's also tempting to toss in some Bright Lights or Rhubarb chard to provide some bright contrast colours.

No comments: