Thursday 6 March 2008

2008 exercise plan

I now have a set of fitness goals for the year. And just for posterity/ so people can laught at me at the end of the year, they're:
  • Get below 165lbs on the scales (and to 155 if I can).
  • Push the whole stack on the leg press machine.
  • Get bike to 30mph (without hills, following winds, and for a reasonable period of time).
  • Walk a 25-mile day.
  • Do a 10k in under 60 minutes.
  • Swim 100 lengths without stopping.
This could take some time, but it's worth aiming at. I'm at 172lbs today (but have been under 165 already this year), I've got my race bike mended and set up for distance, I'm still going to the gym sporadically but am ganging up with the girls from next month, and it's getting light enough to walk or cycle in the evenings now. It's all possible; I just have to keep enough nerve to do it all. That, and eat less cream, sugar and chocolate. I've already fed my part of the shortbread to the young engineers in the office; I'll donate my 2 bars of 70% green + blacks to them tomorrow.

Okay, I've also knocked up an exercise plan that fits (as far as possible) into the rest of my life and gives me that all-important rest day every week (ironically it's today, even though I didn't purposely plan it that way!). So...
  • monday: run lunchtime, cycle to work, weights in evening
  • tuesday: cycle to work, weights&swim in evening
  • wednesday: cycle to work, run in evening
  • thursday: cycle to work (optional); rest day (am diving in the evening)
  • friday: walk/cycle in afternoon (leave work at lunchtime on friday); weights&swim in evening
  • saturday: run/weights morning, cycle all day (optional, depending on shopping trips etc)
  • sunday: walk/cycle all day
I think that just about does it. I'll have to ramp the intensity up gently of course, but it should help me hit most of the goals above.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where's hwngoday: make lovely but fattening food then leave it with him to ensure success of my fitness plan and abject failure of his?

Sj said...

I think that comes under Wednesday. I will search Simon for some healthy recipes and make those for hwngo, or make suitably virtuous rotws for him. Yes, I am eating too much sugar, cream and chocolate. No, I'm not anymore. BTW, the boys in the office loved the shortbread; apparently it tastes like 'homemade Snickers' (that's a Marathon Bar to the older reader). On the plus side, I think I may have spread a little chocolate-coated happiness there; on the minus side, I think I just increased the average engineer weight by at least a pound...

Anonymous said...

Donating Green & Blacks?! That's just crazy talk. LOL.