Thursday 1 May 2008

Comfort Food

My comfort foods have changed over time. Once it was an omelette or beans on toast or rice pudding; now it's risotto. I have a panful on the go at the moment, getting ready for work this afternoon, and I suddenly realised that I've made quite a lot of it of late. It may be association; every time I make risotto, I have this memory of Hwngo patiently showing me how to cook it just after we'd met. Or it may be the process; the physical act of stopping everything for 20 minutes just to tend to my pan of rice. Whichever it is, it's comforting. And -ahem- somewhat fattening, but I'm not going to go there today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just remember, it needs *loads* of good butter towards the end. And parmesan both put in with the butter and scattered on top. Strangely scientists (well, OK, maybe not real scientists) have proven the fattening effects of the butter are cancelled out by the parmesan and vice versa.