Tuesday 3 June 2008

Pimp (del)(del)(del) Map my ride and friends

I'm trying a no-car week. Which failed miserably on the first day (monday) because I didn't have the nuts to cycle to the dentist (it's only a few miles) during worktime. Oh, and my dentist is in a dodgy area and I didn't have the requisite number (more than one) of bike locks. But it's Tuesday and I'll try again. Is interesting though: I used to spend most of my spare time on a bike (I averaged 300 miles a week when I lived in a flat place: many of them spent cycling to the nearest hill to practice grimping) , but now I'm daunted by more than 2 miles. I need to fix this, and cycling to work instead of using the car is only the start of it.

Ah... despite chickening out at cycling to the dentist, my travel this week includes: going to the doctors, to Hwsgo and a meeting in Farnborough. And whilst I was trying to find a route from the train station to my meeting (I've given up on the business image and reverted back to cycling techie. It's me. I'm happy with it), I found Map My Ride and its sister site Map My Run. Excellent idea. I've already measured a set of routes by hand for the wiki at work, but a "how do I get 5 miles in at lunchtime without being fumigated by a truck" website is a great idea. I'll be in checking at lunchtime. I would be running, but I did my first BodyPump class (weights to music) for a while last night, and I need to be a bit gentle on myself. The good news is that the back problem survived this okay. The bad news is that I seem to have quite a lot of muscle strength in the meantime. Oh, and my weight. 176.6lbs. Which is a slight improvement on the last few days at 177.4. I have much to do again, but at least I'm starting to do it.

No comments: