Wednesday 13 August 2008

Training dip

S and I are both in quite an interesting training dip. Over a week of going to gym and getting on with it, only getting tired during the exercise itself, and we finally got round to being tired before the exercise started. We'd both pulled long days at work yesterday, but it seemed a bit more than that (at least to me). Many years ago I worked with someone who put themselves through Canadian forces training whenever they needed to get fit quickly. Apparently they started out okay, felt like hell for the first fortnight then were okay. And in a smaller way, I think this may be happening to us (the feeling like hell bit before we're okay). It's almost a fortnight since we started, and this is usually the point at which I start to give up on the new routine. I'd always put this down to some sort of mental resistance: the point beyond which it became difficult to sustain enthusiasm, but maybe it has a simpler root. Right now we're both a bit tired, so we did a simple set, and I'm currently vegging out on the sofa, but tomorrow it starts again. Big time: we're booked into a boot camp session with an ex-marine PTI. I think I may write the number of a local taxi firm on my arm before we go, just in case we need help getting home.

Oh, and the food slipped a bit. A late night, being a bit tired: I've seen a little too much of the "Snack Time" machine in the last 24 hours. And I went to the supermarket to stock up on veg and found myself almost desperate for chocolate, sugar and white bread. But I resisted and headed the urge off with sweetcorn cobs and multipacks of low-fat crisps. So. Back on the wagon and another evening without carbohydrates or sugar, and yogurt and fruit for dessert. It's worth it, just to see the scales going down every day. Or at least, possibly more realistically, not going up.

No comments: