Friday 11 January 2008

No cooking today...

...I'm off to town (London) with Sara and Sara. There will probably be plenty of drinking, though the chances of me being able to type afterwards is - well, actually not bad, I'm one of those annoying people who can text with perfect grammar and spelling even when I can't quite speak. Actually, no, it's not quite as uncivilised as that: we're off to see Cirque de Soleil at the Albert Hall, and are trogging round the galleries and museums (interspersed with a little light shopping) before we go. Although I may post some wine review comments later.

So foodwise it's a quiet day. Although I've already chalked up one mug coffee and a water biscuit to get me back to sleep at 5am. I've had another quick look at the book: it may be more doable in the time than I thought because there are lots of mash recipes which can accompany other main dishes and at least 20 yummy puddings which can follow said mains, albeit at a discreet distance and with an accompanying increase in my running plan.

I also got curious about how many other people are cooking their way through an entire book. I made a rough estimate of 524 (possibly even that many starting this year), but haven't found that many yet... there are 6 in an Amy Sherman article on EpiLog, for instance:
* The Julie/Julia project (obviously)
* The French Laundry Cookbook by French Laundry at Home
* Maida Heatter's Book of Great Cookies by My Little Kitchen
* Mexican Everyday by Mark
* The Gourmet Cookbook by Teena and Melissa Hruby Bach
I've looked, but I can't find any more yet; there doesn't seem to be a master list anywhere, and a trawl through the boards hasn't raised any more names, although I know they're probably out there. Meanwhile, what I did find was an interesting blog on 18th century French cooking and a whole page dedicated to umami.

Ah yes: today's weight is 170.8 lbs. A whole pound; a minor victory, but a victory nonetheless and 7% of the way towards my goal. Oh, and add to the food today list: 1 bowl specialK with milk, 1 SpecialK bar, 1 necticot, 2 1" millionaire shortbread squares (Dean's birthday cakes), 1 machine hotchocolate, 4 pints water, 1 small M&S sushi, 1 bag M&S low-fat baked crisps (horrible, much worse than Walkers' version), 2 orange juices, 1 chicken panini with salad and fries, 1 coffee with amaretto and 8 scoops cream and icecream stolen from the top of Sara's sundae (she doesn't like the cream on top, but forgets to ask the restaurant to omit it).

I made the mistake of steering the girls into a good cheap bookshop near the V&A. So I've bought the second Roast Chicken book (More Helpings of Roast Chicken) and Book 2 of St Johns' Nose to Tail, just to get the yeast recipe for Hwsgo's favourite sourdough bread. I think I prefer the first Roast Chicken to the second: whilst the quality and passion is still there, the first book seems somehow more complete, more rounded, a well-planned 3-course gourmet pub lunch compared to a pick-n-mix French cafe menu in Knightsbridge. Which is only fair I guess, since authors rarely start the labour of love also known as their first book with the intention of writing a whole series. I'll see what Hwsgo thinks; he has a good eye for these things.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Three rules of the internet.
1. Sometimes it's there, sometimes it's not.
2. If it's there, sometimes you can find it, sometimes you can't.
3. Master lists are not masterful. But they are lists, albeit usually incomplete out of date and partial ones.