Wednesday 9 January 2008

Where to find food in Sussex

I live in what even its inhabitants would describe as a low-rent town. It's fun, it has a whole mix of cultures and lots of green space and surprises, but it's never going to be a creme-de-menthe hotspot. And its foodstores cater for what the people want. There are 4 supermarkets nearby; Tescos (3 of, varying sizes), Sainsburys, Asda and Waitrose; these are all good for basics. Closer to, there is a small local shop (mainly tinned goods) , garage (most types of things, but not much variety) and Coop (it's there somewhere, but I can't find it without a very good map). Which has left me with a little bit of an ingredient-sourcing challenge. Luckily, out in the neighbouring villages is an amazing array of brilliant little shops. The ones I've found so far are:
  • The Crown Roast Butchers, 18 High Street, Lingfield. A brilliant place; carry very good steaks, all well hung in a variety of darknesses, excellent game (it's where the pheasants came from) and their own smoked bacon. The guys behind the counter are always friendly, always helpful even to the catering-challenged; I can't praise them enough.
  • Pips & Stones Greengrocers, High Street, Lingfield. An excellent foil for the Lingfield butchers; good selection of vegetables and fruit, lots of otherwise difficult-to-find local produce.
  • Allan Martin Meats Butchers, Maypole Road, Ashurst Wood. Difficult to find, but recommended by the Crown Roast when I couldn't find a whole duck after christmas (for an experiment with mandarin pancake) . Very earthy; was met with a healthy round of swearing from the back of the shop as I entered it, but also very very helpful. Patiently answered all my questions about the meat they stocked, and even provided a useful baked duck recipe when I confessed my complete lack of cooking skills.
  • Tablehurst biodynamic farm, Forest Row. A truly excellent place to buy meat and poultry; also does fruit and vegetables in season. And it's fun to drive down the tracks past the orchards to the farm shop. Only open Thurs, Fri, Sat, but definitely worth a visit.
  • Brick Lane Market (not to be confused with Spitalfields Markets). Okay, I know this isn't in Sussex, but hwsgo lives nearby, and they have much much better and cheaper produce than I've managed to find out in the countryside. Londoners, you are truly blessed in the food department: cherish it.
I haven't yet found a good fishmonger, but I have great hopes of finding one near Brighton. And since I have an allotment, I'm starting to plan for growing some of the more difficult-to-find vegetable ingredients, provided the pigeons, slugs and mice don't get to them first. Which is yet another story for another day...

No comments: